Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Slum lifestyle

As I've been roaming around the city for 2 months now, I couldn't help but notice the amount of slums there are in this huge city. Big slums, small slums, higher slums, slums under bridges, slums along the water; you can all find them here. It's sad to see, especially when you see the lifestyle of the Filipino riches; the difference is two worlds apart. I wasn't so surprised when somebody told me that it will take more than 30 years for Manila to catch up with cities like Bangkok. Unfortunately this means that a major part of the slums will still be present over the next years, but maybe that is not only a bad thing? I read this article, and it gave me a new perspective on all the slums I've seen here. Definitely read it if u would like to see things differently! -It's a fun read ;-)

Link to: What So-Called Slums Can Teach American Cities

No comments:

Post a Comment