Monday, September 27, 2010

Fashion in 1 suitcase

When the end of my awesome Bangkok period ended, something less awesome came with it: I was only allowed 20 KG to bring with me! 20 KG, that's insanely hard for a person that is settled for 5 months in a place where cool and cheap buys can be bought. So here I was, sorting out my stuff. Picking the things I wanted to take home (remembrans, gifts, anything that can't be bought back home) and leaving other things behind (schoolbooks!). I managed pretty well and got satisfied with the beautiful dress my friend gave me, Loft goodies (which is an awesome Japanese concept), cool multi-colored Muay Thai boxers, Siam Square clothes & accessories and my Chula uniform (clothes counted for about 70% of my bagage).

-
Now the Manila part. Same issue: again only 20 KGs are allowed. I always knew that Manila was a paradise to shop (well, not exactly paradise considering the dirty streets, traffic and well; chaos). World 66 for sure is right when the website mentions that Manila is ''Asia's Mall capital, and that you can find a mall or shopping area on every two blocks or so''. So I prepared. I brought very little stuff with me and now that I've been roaming around in this shopping city for 2 months, it indeed was a good idea. I can't reveal all about shopping yet, because there is still much out there I haven't discovered. But I would love to share some great stuff with you:




The collective.
I was invited to a movie screening in a cafe the other day, and it turned to be right beside my studio. (World 66 again was right that there's a shopping area or mall on every two blocks or so). Unfortunately, by that time, stores surrounding that cafe were closed, but I did manage to take a quick peak on the offerings they have there. The Collective is a small, somewhat still unknown, underground area that has the cutest, most original, inspiring and non-commercial stores and concepts. I didn't have time to take photo's, but I do have the luck that the area is right behind my place! -Oh well.. who cares, I'll just refer you to this fully visualized and detailed page that was dedicated to that awesome place: the Collective!!

Link to: Our-Awesome-Planet taking a loop at the Collective




Yhansy
Yhansy is a small store with the cutest and most original high quality accessories I've seen. It is slightly hidden; u have to either walk the uncommon roads of the huge Shangri-La Mall to incidentally pass by it (which me and my friend did when we got bored) or use directions. Once you're there it's hard to walk out without a purchase; goods (mostly jewelry) are original, yet not over the top, cute, wearable and considerably cheap! Prices range from 62 PHP (which is about 1.10 E) for small and simple earrings to 450 PHP (7.80E for awesome necklaces).




Cheap finds
Even though shopping in Manila has become more and more expensive over the past few years, it is still possible to buy surprisingly cheap finds. I got this striped T-shirt for an amazing 75PHP (1.30E). And the broche? Was double the price -But totally worth it ;-) (Both found at MarketMarket!) More cheap? Try: Greenhills, Mall 168 and Divisoria


And of course there are always these stores around where you can always find a good buy: Bayo, Crossings, Celine, Folded and Hung, Mango, Zara, Chocolate Schubar and Shoe Salon

No comments:

Post a Comment